I recently installed Arch Linux on my Vaio Type Z and had some problems using the hardware RAID so here’s how I managed to make that work.
The installation process is of course perfectly normal. On my computer, after having enabled the hardware RAID, I had a
/dev/md126 device and partitioned to have
/dev/md126_1 mounted on
/boot. After installing GRUB on the MBR with
I tried to boot. GRUB launched properly, however, when trying to boot Arch Linux with the root supposed to be on
/dev/md126_5, I had an error telling me that this device was not being found. After looking up in mkinitcpio’s documentation, I saw that there was a hook for FakeRAID so I booted from a Live USB, chrooted and add this hook with
pacman -S dmraid vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf # add dmraid to HOOKS mkinitcpio -p linux
After rebooting, Arch Linux booted properly with the hardware RAID enabled.